Avramopoulos & Partners has extensive experience in assisting clients in complying with applicable competition laws, providing comprehensive advice across a broad spectrum of competition issues. We advise on multiple aspects of EU and Greek competition law, and assist clients with respect to mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. Our Firm places great importance on understanding our clients' businesses and the practical and commercial implications of competition matters in their specific industries.
Our attorneys provide a wide range of competition services, including:
- Transaction counseling
- Notification and defense
- Representation in cartel investigations
- Counseling with regard to technology licensing
- Pricing and distribution arrangements
- Advising and representing clients on contentious matters, including EU and Member State litigation, arbitration and mediation
- Advice and representation on State aid and public procurement
- Representing clients in government investigations and agency complaints
We provide our clients with a full range of counseling on competition law issues in the areas of mergers, joint ventures, distribution issues and licensing. Our attorneys regularly:
- Counsel clients on the various laws applicable to contractual and structural joint ventures
- Guide clients through a maze of divergent distribution regulations
- Advise clients on competitive issues in technology and intellectual property licensing
- Lead clients through the notification processes for approval of such arrangements
Mergers Notification and Review
Our attorneys have extensive experience with multinational mergers and the notification process for such mergers. For instance, we:
- Analyze proposed multinational transactions and advise clients on the likely substantive treatment of mergers in various jurisdictions
- Organize and execute the notification process throughout the world for large multinational transactions
- Defend transactions that receive additional scrutiny in various jurisdictions
Complaints, Oppositions and Contentious Proceedings
We advise on a wide array of contentious competition matters, including:
- Oppositions to adverse transactions
- International arbitration and litigation proceedings involving complaints or defenses under European competition law
- Complaints involving restrictive agreements, or dominant behavior by competitors
Specialized team in: EU & Competition
Avramopoulos & Partners advises Bonatti on EU and licensing laws relating to the construction of the Trans Adriatic Gas Pipeline. Athanassios Safaris is the key contact. (European Legal 500, 2017 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners advised several motor distributors on competition matters following the termination of a distribution agreement. Athanassios Safaris heads the team. (European Legal 500, 2016 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has an active team headed by Athanassios Safaris. Recent clients include Tideland Signal, Technical Reunidas and Suzuki. (European Legal 500, 2015 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm exhibits ‘excellent response times and great industry knowledge’. The practice, which is headed by Athanassios Safaris, has undertaken a substantial volume of work linked to construction and engineering projects, including complaints to the EU authorities. (European Legal 500, 2014 ed.)
Athanassios Safaris heads the team at Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm, which includes the highly experienced Alkis Economou, who regularly represents the European Commission before the community courts. Other clients include ERT and Hill International. (European Legal 500, 2013 ed.)
Alkis Economou heads Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm’s strong team, which is highly experienced in resolving local competition issues as well as EU-level matters. The firm has represented the European Commission before the local courts, most recently in a matter against Greek Public Power Corporation. (European Legal 500, 2012 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm’s competition law practice is headed by the distinguished Alkis Economou. Recent highlights include a case involving the Greek Public Power Corporation. (European Legal 500, 2011 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm’s practice is headed by Alkis Economou, who has extensive experience as legal adviser to the DG legal service of the European Commission. Junior partner Themis Giannakopoulos advised the Greek milk industry association in antitrust proceedings. (European Legal 500, 2010 ed.)
Avramopoulos and Partners Law Firm advises its corporate clients on the competition implications of joint ventures and mergers, and has been involved in litigation with EU law aspects in the construction and transportation industries. (European Legal 500, 2009 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has been advising public transport company ETHEL in litigation involving significant elements of EU legislation. (European Legal 500, 2008 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has recruited a new partner, former sole practitioner Athanassios Safaris, who will be focusing on EU and competition and brings with him a team of associates. Senior partner Alkis Economou heads the practice, which is particularly strong on public procurement. His team has recently been representing the European Commission before the European Court of Justice in a case against Olympic Airways, concerning aid provided to the latter by the Greek State. It also advised Balfour Beatty on filing a complaint with the European Commission, relating to the procedure of a tender issued by the Greek state railway company. (European Legal 500, 2007 ed.)
- Provision of legal advice in order to update the Company’s notification to the Bank of Greece for the limited Network exemption pursuant to the second payment services directive, PSD2, as transposed into local law, following the issuance of the EBA’s Guidelines in February 2022. Coordinating the relevant correspondence with the local Regulator and representing the Client before the same.
- Legal advice to a U.S. hotel and entertainment company and preparation of a Complaint before the EU Commission pursuant to article 258 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU, in relation to its unlawful disqualification from a Tender in Greece, including coordination with the Athens and Brussels Law Firms, also involved in the case.
The Tender referred to the granting of a multibillion wide-range activities casino/license operating in the old Athens Airport.
- Legal advice to a leading IT Company on the transposition of the Second EU Payment Services Directive into local law, focusing on payment services provided under the limited network exemption.
Updating information filed to the Greek regulator for the purpose of obtaining the said exemption.
- Provision of legal advice as regards clearance requirements from the Hellenic and/or the EU Competition Committee, following the sale of a Greek company producing edible oils.
- Provision of legal advice to an Italian construction company having undertaken the construction of the major part of the Transadriatic Gas Pipeline (TAP), regarding the licensing of the heavy machinery and special purpose vehicles to be used in the construction works within Greece, including highlighting the areas where local law deviates from EU legislation.
- Provision of legal advice and services to the contractor of the project (joint venture of five companies: four Italian and one Greek) for the design, construction and commissioning of the Thessaloniki metro. These services included: negotiations with the Greek legal counsels of the state, drafting of new legislation on mediation procedures, drafting of a complaint before the EU authorities, etc. The project comprises of an underground line of two tracks of 9.6 kilometers in length, thirteen stations, the depot, etc. It also includes the procurement of 18 trains and the commissioning of all systems, including training of the operational personnel.
- Provision of legal advice and services to a UK listed company and its subsidiary in Greece, in respect of the potential acquisition of one of its major business competitors in the Greek market. Legal counseling in relation to the chances of obtaining the relevant regulatory approvals by the Hellenic Competition Commission, the ensuing risks, and the process to be followed.
- Provision of legal advice to a major food company, regarding a cartel investigation by the Hellenic Competition Commission, including an on-the-spot inspection and confiscation of documents and electronic files.
- Provision of legal services and advice to a Spanish listed company in relation to the existing disputes deriving from a Contract for the Project Management, Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management of a Refinery Upgrading Project.
- Provision of legal advice to a N.Y.S.E. company in relation to a consultancy contract awarded to this company for the privatization and development of the land of the old Athens Airport issued by the Greek State.
- Provision of legal advice and support for the preparation and filing of a complaint to the Greek Competition Authority by a Greek distributor against a car manufacturer for violation of the Greek and EU antitrust legislation.
- Legal advice to a multinational advertising company regarding the drafting and filing of a Petition for Annulment & the Petition for Suspension of Implementation before the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece; these two petitions involved the Ministry of Health’s decision to prohibit the outdoor advertisement of tobacco products.
- Individual application before the European Court for Human Rights regarding the breach of the right to a fair hearing caused by the omission of the Greek Supreme Administrative Court to hear the claims of an incorrectly taxed company.
- Drafting and negotiating agency, distributorship and franchise agreements with local partners for major European product manufacturers and dispute resolution.
- Provision of legal advice and services to the Greek state radio and television organization in relation to the transfer and distribution of its channels’ signal to the USA in accordance with the terms of a relevant tender.