The Firm has represented companies both locally and abroad, as well as joint ventures and financing institutions in the sector of Public Procurement. Our services include preparing for and participating in public tenders, drafting and negotiating the documentation -as well as representing its clients in disputes arising from the public procurements contracts- and tender procedures.
Avramopoulos & Partners offers counseling and litigation representation to clients both for privately and publicly owned projects in the following areas:
- Project documentation including drafting, negotiation, and risk evaluation
- Bidding disputes and subcontractor listing issues
- Compliance with regulatory compliance matters
- Contract performance disputes involving changed and extra work, defective plans and specifications, changed conditions, warranty issues, constructive and express delay and acceleration, suspension of work and contract termination disputes
- Litigation of construction defect claims and related insurance coverage disputes
Contract Counseling and Negotiation
We provide guidance in preparing and negotiating project contract documents and joint venture agreements. We advise clients on issues involving contract administration, performance and termination. Such issues include:
- Counseling clients on implementation of environmental, safety, socio-economic and labor programs
- Supporting for internal investigations and corporate compliance reviews
In contract disputes, we pursue and defend all issues arising in the performance or breach of construction and procurement contracts, including:
- Price or schedule adjustments for directed or constructive changes
- Defects or errors in contract specifications
- Delays, disruptions, and accelerations of the schedule
- Environmental complaints
- Any other act or omission by either party that directly or indirectly impacts the contractual relationship
Further, our Firm has expertise in administrative law disputes, such as:
- Administrative Fines and Sanctions Imposed by the State
- Tax Disputes
- Social Contribution Issues
- Urban and Environmental Disputes and Fines
- License and Authorization Issues
- Disputes Arising from the Participation in Public Tenders
- Disputes related to the performance of Public Contracts
This activity has significantly increased in the recent years due to the economic and social reforms that are being introduced in order to support the local economy.
Specialized team in: Projects & Privatization
Avramopoulos & Partners acts for Bonatti in the construction of part of the Trans Adriatic Gas Pipeline. Vassilis Avramopoulos is the key contact. (European Legal 500, 2017 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners has notable projects expertise, and recently advised Hill International on tenders relating to the exploitation of publicly owned real estate. “The knowledgeable and experienced” Vassilis Avramopoulos heads the department. (European Legal 500, 2016 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm regularly advises engineering and construction clients on major tenders. It is currently advising the project consortium on the development of the Thessaloniki Metro. Vassilis Avramopoulos heads the team. (European Legal 500, 2015 ed.).
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm’s ‘highly qualified professionals’ include team head Vassilis Avramopoulos, who acts for Hill International and Tideland Signal. The firm is advising a consortium of sponsors on the Thessaloniki Metro project. (European Legal 500, 2014 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm successfully represented Hill International in a successful tender to privatize and develop land at the old Athens Airport. Vassilis Avramopoulos heads the team, which also advises several German clients on energy-related projects. (European Legal 500, 2013 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm advises contractors on major infrastructure projects. It is advising Balfour Beatty Rail on the electrification of the Piraeus-Athens-Thessaloniki line, and design engineering company Omete on several infrastructure design projects. (European Legal 500, 2012 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has been involved in public tenders in the transport and leisure sectors, notably advising longstanding client Balfour Beatty Rail on its public tender for the Athens Metro extension. (European Legal 500, 2011 ed.)
Transportation, leisure and tourism are key areas for Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm; the team recently advised Balfour Beatty Rail on its successful tender for the electrification of the Piraeus-Athens-Thessaloniki line. It has also been acting on the construction of a marina, shopping centre and residential area in Rhodes. (European Legal 500, 2010 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm continues to advise a consortium on the development and construction of a marina, shopping center and residential area in Rhodes. (European Legal 500, 2009 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners is known for its M&A practice but over the past year the firm is increasingly becoming recognized for its work in banking, capital markets and project finance.
One of its highlights transactions was advising ABN Amro on a syndicated bond loan agreement worth €650 million. Elsewhere, the firm acted for bank of Attica in its merger with Attica Leasing, one of its subsidiaries.
In other M&A work, the firm carried out due diligence in Lamda Technol Flisvos’s sale of shares to Island Global Yachting. The firm also provided due diligence and contract drafting in Alma Atermon’s €50 million sale of assets to Affichage.
In project finance, the firm advised Rodon Anaptyxiaki and Casino Rhodes in the €62.5 million construction of a marina, shopping centre and residential area in Rhodes in September 2007.
In another standout deal, the firm advised Balfour Beatty rail on the public bid for the extension of Athens’s metro system. One client says: “I am very happy with the quality of service provided”. (IFLR 1000, 2009 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has been advising Rodon Anaptyxiaki, Casino Rodou, Emporiki Bank and Marines Rodou on issues related to the project/concession agreement for the development, construction and exploitation of a marina, shopping centre and residential area in Rhodes. (European Legal 500, 2008 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has a focus on administrative law and the public sector. It also advised UK-based Balfour Beatty Rail –via its Italian and Greek subsidiaries – in relation to several public tenders in Greece, including the implementation of an awarded tender relating to the Piraeus-Athens-Thessaloniki railway line. (European Legal 500, 2007 ed.)
Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm advised the Greek and US consortium of York Capital Management and Olympic Investors, in their bid for Olympic Airlines. (European Legal 500, 2006 ed.)
- Provision of legal services to a US hotel and entertainment company which has entered into a Joint Venture with one of the leading construction companies in Greece, which has been awarded the multibillion tender issued by the Greek State for the Concession of a wide-range activities Casino Operating License and the development of an Integrated Resort and Casino in the area of the old airport of Athens.
- Provision of legal advice to a Client regarding a Tender for a 23 years concession at Athens International Airport regarding the supply, receiving, storage, quality controls and distribution of aviation fuels for aircraft refueling, the preparation of the Client’s offer and negotiation of the Concession Agreement and its accessory agreements.
- Provision of legal advice to a client regarding a Tender for the privatization of the former U.S. Military base of Gournes in the island of Crete.
- Provision of legal advice, preparation of legal due diligence report, including advice on forestial issues as well as issues related to access to the beach and exploitation rights and review of purchase deeds, regarding the acquisition of a hotel complex in Corfu, owned by a bank. The acquisition took place through an auction. Our advice also included assistance and preparation of the participation documents and the submission of the client’s offer, covering the issuance of the participation bond, clients’ legalization documents, etc.
- Providing legal advice to a client with regards to the acquisition through a Tender of a hotel complex and three adjacent plots of land in the island of Evia.
Such advice included the drafting of the Shares Purchase Agreement, review of the draft legal due diligence report, and the notarial transfer deeds.
Our assistance included also advice regarding the structuring of the transaction and coordination between parties involved.
- Providing legal assistance to a Client’s incorporation, including drafting of the SHA aiming to one of the most reputable equity fund’s participation. Further, we have drafted and negotiated a lengthy Memorandum of Understanding between the Client and one of the most famous Greek food retail companies for an exclusive 10 years provision of agricultural products (vegetables) from the Client to such food retail company.
- Provision of legal advice to a US hotel and entertainment company with regards to its participation in the major multibillion Tender issued by the Greek State for the Concession of a wide-range activities Casino Operating License and the development of an Integrated Resort and Casino in the area of the old airport of Athens, including providing advice regarding CFT requirements prior to the submission of its offer, assistance for the preparation thereof and in all following stages.
- Provision of legal advice and drafting due diligence reports in various fields with regards to the acquisition of the state-owned gas provider in Greece (DEPA) through an RFP process, run by the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund.
- Provision of legal advice regarding the participation in a Tender for the acquisition of the KYTHNOS XENIA Hotel installations in the island of Kythnos under the scheme of granting of surface right for a 99 – year term and of two hot springs under the scheme of concession of use. The said tender was run by the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund.
- Provision of legal advice to a Greek company with regards to its participation in various tenders issued by the Port Authorities of Greece.
- Contribution to World Bank’s survey on Public -Private Partnerships in Greece.
- Provision of legal advice and services to the contractor of the project (joint venture of five companies: four Italian and one Greek) for the design, construction and commissioning of the Thessaloniki metro. These services included: negotiations with the Greek legal counsels of the state, drafting of new legislation on mediation procedures, drafting of a complaint before the EU authorities, etc. The project comprises of an underground line of two tracks of 9.6 kilometers in length, thirteen stations, the depot, etc. It also includes the procurement of 18 trains and the commissioning of all systems, including training of the operational personnel.
- Provision of legal advice to a N.Y.S.E. company in relation to a consultancy contract awarded to this company for the privatization and development of the land of the old Athens Airport issued by the Greek State.
- Provision of legal advice and support for the participation of a UK company in a tender for the modernization of the Greek Seas Light Beacons Network proclaimed by the Ministry of Defense.
- Review procedures before the competent Administrative Courts of Appeal regarding the award of public supply and service contracts in the sectors of musical instruments, digital equipment, computers and structure designing.
- Provision of legal services to Greek and United States marina operation and management companies with regards to the process to be followed with the Greek state for administrative and operational matters.
- Provision of legal advice and services to a joint venture on legal issues related to the Project/Concession Agreement for the Development, Construction and Exploitation of a Marina, a Shopping Center and a Residential Area in the Island of Rhodes, Greece.
- Provision of legal services to a US provider of electronic communication services in relation to its participation in an International Public Tender regarding the assignment of a specific radio frequency in Greece for the development of Wi-MAX technology, issued by the Greek National Regulatory Authority (National Telecommunications and Posts Commission-EETT).
- Provision of legal services to a UK listed company in its negotiations, drafting and conclusion of agreements with its Greek partner; this company cooperated, participated in and was awarded the PFI Project (issued by the Greek state-owned betting organization OPAP) for the contract regarding the organization and operation of odds betting in Greece.
- Provision of legal services to a German and a Greek listed company for the PFI Project regarding the planning, constructing and operating of an alternative Fibber Optics telecommunications network in Greece. This network was expected to be the main competitor to the dominant operator in Greece, since it had acquired several rights of use through various public utility companies (e.g., the Athens Water and Sewage Company (EYDAP), the Trains Organization of Greece (OSE), etc.).
- Provision of legal counsel to a US listed company in relation to the Tender of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games Organizing Committee for the Awarding of the Catering Services for the Olympic/Special Olympics Village and the accommodation facilities for the officials.
- Provision of legal services to the Greek Ministry of Transport and Communications in relation to the preparation and issuance of an International Public Tender for the Project “Provision of Consultancy Services for Drawing up the National Strategy in the area of Electronic Communications for the period of 2007 – 2013.”
- Provision of legal services to a US listed company for its participation in the International Open Tender issued by the State Company named ERGOSE; this tender provided a radio frequency GSM-R system together with all related services for the railway line Patras – Athens – Thessaloniki – Idomeni – Promahonas (P.A.TH.E.P.).
- Provided legal services to a UK listed company for its participation in the International Public Tender issued of the Horse Racing Organization of Greece (ODYE) for the project of the construction, operation and financing of the new horse racing centers in Athens and Thessaloniki (PFI Project).
- Legal advice to a consortium of leading Greek companies for their participation in the tender for the awarding of the Concession Agreement for the construction, financing, operation and exploitation of a major Trade and Transportation Center in Thriassio Pedio (Athens).
- Provision of legal advice and preparation of due diligence legal reports (including review of regulatory authorizations, connection terms, power purchase agreements, land agreements, etc.) and drafting of share purchase agreements for German Enterprises’ purchase of several fully-fledged solar energy production plants in Southern Greece.
- Provision of ongoing legal advice, court representation (Court of Appeals) and legal opinions to a UK and world class infrastructure company in relation to the litigation proceedings issued against the public company ERGOSE S.A. in connection with the project entitled “Electrification of the Piraeus – Athens – Thessaloniki TX1 Railway Line” and the tender for the project “Construction of Electrification for the new railway along the SKA-KIATO section.”
- Provision of legal advice and services to the Greek State Radio and Television Organization in relation to the transfer and distribution of its TV channels’ signal to the USA in accordance with the terms of a relevant tender.
- Provision of legal counsel to a US advisory company in relation to the Tender of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games Organizing Committee for the Award to the Consulting Services for the Organization of the Olympic Transportation System.